LGBT Total Entertainment Blog
Help us grow and send in your own stories and contributions to: pinoylgbtlovestories@gmail.com

Saturday, December 20, 2014

LGBT PRIDE: Kevin Balot (Miss International Queen 2012)



The Philippines’ First Transexual Celebrity?
By Gabbie Tatad (The Philippine Star)

She is Kevin Balot, who although was originally born male and retains the name Kevin, is indeed a she. And this she is the current titleholder of Miss International Queen, a world-renowned transgender beauty pageant with contenders from all over the globe. She bested 20 other delegates and took home the crown, with plans to take Philippine show business by storm. So ready or not, here she comes, in a blaze of blinding jewels, glimmering locks, and effortless beauty.
SUPREME: Let’s start at the beginning. What was it like growing up feeling like the body you were born into wasn’t the right one?
KEVIN BALOT: At first, it was hard. I was born as a male but I identified as a female. One thing na mahirap pa, only boy ako sa family. Expectation sakin ng dad ko, he wanted me to become an engineer, but I really wanted to become a gay beauty queen. What I did was, since I finished high school, I became independent. Kaya ko pinasok yung mga gay beauty pageants from around the Philippines. I earned money for my studies until I finished college.
You put yourself through college by joining gay beauty pageants? That’s very interesting.
If you’re blessed with good looks, beauty pageants can be a great way to make money.
What has the transition from male to female been like for you?
Lifestyle Feature ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch:
For me, the transition is very long-term. Transition means acceptance muna, of what you are and your situation. Then acceptance of the people surrounding you, like your family and friends. Tapos yung kaya mong i-acceptkahit hindi ka tanggap. Next is the physical transition by means of hormone replacement therapy. I’ve never undergone any surgery aside from the SRS, or sexual reassignment surgery. My face is natural, and I’ve been using hormonal therapy since high school.
What kind of support system did you have during such a major turning point in your life, especially with the difficulties between you and your father?
I have the support of my friends. But what I needed the most was my own support, for myself. Even if my dad didn’t agree, I did what I believe was right for me.
How come you kept the name Kevin?
Kasi napaka-memorable ng names namin! I’m the only boy, and all our names start with the letter K. The eldest is Karen, I’m Kevin, and the last girl is Kimberly. Then all our second names are connected to our birth months.
And you never felt the need to change it to something more traditionally female?
The time that I changed my gender, that was enough. Changing my name is a big no-no for me, and it’s something I’d like to give to my parents. It’s not that easy to come up with a name for a baby, especially for a mother who’s excited to bring her baby out into the world. It’s a big no-no for me.
You mentioned that you wanted to be a beauty queen from an early age. Who was your greatest inspiration?
When Miriam Quiambao won as the first runner-up to Miss Universe, me and my family were watching. I told myself I wanted to be like her someday. I wanted to be where she was, with all of the people watching me and clapping because they are proud of me.

How about Miss International Queen? What process did you go through to get into the competition, and how did you prepare?
Wala eh. Talaga, super wala. I was just an option when they were picking delegates to send to the competition. A friend of mine fought for me, asking, “Why don’t you send Kevin? She’s very young, very fresh, walang retoke.” The ones sending the candidates over agreed to send me, and that was it.
But one thing I did to prepare was never to expect. I never expect at pageants so that whatever happens,matalo man ako, I don’t get hurt. But I enjoy ever second of it.
Do you think there is a vast difference between transgender beauty queens of the previous generations and now? How has the competition changed over the years?
I’m really starting to see a change. I think when people say “transgender beauty queen,” people assume that you’ve had work done from head to toe. But, for example, in my case, I haven’t had anything done to my face.
Another thing is that the transgender beauty queens now are so much more educated. Before, it was about cleavage and looking a certain way. Now, it’s about being beautiful and smart too.
Since you weren’t expecting anything, how did it feel to win?
I was shocked! I kept asking myself, “Why me?” After how many years of the Philippines sending over delegates, I couldn’t believe that I was the one who won. I remember I had an interview, and I remember telling them, “Pwede nakong mamatay kinabukasan.” That was it. I had already reached the absolute peak.
Where do you keep your crown?
At home, in its box. I only wear it when it’s required because it’s very heavy. Sobrang bigat. (Laughs)
Usually, the winners of Miss International Queen are known to become local celebrities in Thailand. You were given opportunities to star in movies over there. What made you decide not to go that route?
I think that this is the time for Filipinos to become more broad-minded, open-minded when it comes to transgender. Thailand doesn’t need me. They have Poy Treechada (first Miss International Queen winner and transsexual pop culture icon) and so many others. I am grateful that I am able to represent the Philippines, and I want to make a difference here. Things are changing.
But still, you’d like to become a local celebrity in the Philippines. What career path would you like to explore?
I’d like to be an actress.
In Philippine show business, especially for actors and actresses, love teams are standard. If you could be paired with anyone of your choosing, who would it be?
(Squeals) Super die hard fan ako ni Enrique Gil!
(Laughs)
Natawa ka dinsiguro crush mo siya noh.
He’s so young! You’re young too, so it makes sense.
Who’s your crush? Robin Padilla?
Grabe ka naman. Secret na lang kung sino.
Ako Enrique Gil talaga, lalo na nung sumayaw siya ng Gentleman. Grabe. (Sighs) Nanginig ako.
So if you were going to become an actress, whose career would you like to pattern yours after?
Anne Curtis.
How come?
She’s a chameleon! She can do anything. When you’re acting and a director says jump, you do it. And Anne Curtis? She can jump.
Do you think the Philippines is ready for a trans celebrity?
Why not? There are a lot of people in high places who like to experiment with different things, and no one says anything about it. I think I should be judged for my skills and not for my gender. I have so much to offer, and I will prove it to everyone


No comments:

Post a Comment